Day 15


Baking. My something creative for the day. Baking. I am SO NOT A BAKER. I decided this long ago, but I was reminded about it again today. I am not a baker. I don't know why, because I love to cook, but me and baking for some reason don't mesh well. Maybe because you have to measure stuff. When I cook, I don't usually measure. Maybe because baking just seems so much easier (and cheaper) if it comes from Betty Crocker of Pillsbury. I know it always tastes better homemade, but I am still trying to decide if it is worth the effort. Rob is buying me a nice mixer as soon as I decide which one I want, but I am starting to wonder if it will ever get used. Maybe he should save his money, or buy me clothes or something. Hmmmm. Now thats a thought.

Anyway, today I made this recipe from Ema. It has gotten great reviews from everyone who has tried it. Even Rob, who is not a sweet eater, absolutely loved these cookies today when they were finished. He had like 3 or 4. Usually he will have a bite of mine and call it good. My opinion of them was that they tasted a bit salty for some reason, and it might be because my baking soda was expired! (oops!) lol.

Anyway, this recipe makes a ton! I still have a bowl of dough in my fridge that doesnt have a dent in it, and that is after making 3 dozen for a scout activity tonight- by the way, everyone loved these cookies at scouts too- no one said they were too salty, even when I asked! Maybe I am just being over critical?

So here is the recipe:

Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 c. brown sugar
1 lb butter (yep, a whole pound!)
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tblsp vanilla
6 c. flour
5 c. chocolate chips
2 c. chopped nuts (optional)

Cream together sugar, brown sugar, butter, and eggs. Then add the rest of the ingredients. Make dough balls and put on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

For Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, decrease flour to 5 1/2 c. and add 2 1/2 c. oatmeal and 1-2 cups of raisins. Slightly mash before cooking.





Ryan loved them too! (Of course he did!)